Workplace Violence (WPV) prevention and response training has become "must have" training in organizations today due to statistics like these*:
- Over 2 million reports of workplace violence are filed by U.S. workers each year
- 1.8 million work days are lost to workplace violence in the U.S. each year
- 1 in 7 employees feels unsafe in the workplace
Developed by leading security and safety experts, Getting Real About Workplace Violence goes beyond "check the box" type workplace violence training. Through an approach that informs but doesn't overwhelm, along with materials that enable you to effectively deploy the training organization wide, the program creates a workplace where people are mindful, not fearful.
Prevention = Awareness + Recognition + Action
Effective workplace violence training for employees and managers covers:
Developing an informed and empowered workforce takes a comprehensive WPV prevention training approach.
- the many forms workplace violence can take
- how to spot and report concerning behaviors
- what to do in the event of an extreme violence situation
This program does all three with extra emphasis on awareness and prevention. Learners are provided with the "mental categories" to spot changes in others that could indicate potential trouble and taught how to safely share those concerns. It enables organizations to create a culture of mutual dignity and respect, where people look out for one another.
Because Getting Real About Workplace Violence has an Awareness & Prevention section and a Response section, it can be integrated into any organization's WPV prevention plan, regardless of where you are in the process. Depending on your organizational priorities, you can choose to train on Response options first and then work on awareness and prevention, or start with awareness and build on that.
Comprehensive General Training as well as a Manager-specific add-on
Getting Real About Workplace Violence's components ensure people at all levels have the knowledge they need to look out for themselves and others.
There are three Getting Real About Workplace Violence segments:
Awareness & Prevention (10 minute video), Extreme Violence Response (8 minute video), and Advanced Training for Managers (7 minute video).
The General Training includes:
the Awareness & Prevention segment and the Extreme Violence Response segment.
The Manager Training add-on includes:
The Awareness & Prevention and Extreme Violence Response learning objectives include:
the Advanced Training for Managers segment
- Understand that workplace violence goes beyond active shooters
- Gain awareness of different types of potential threats
- Identify early warning signs and know how to respond to concerning behaviors
- Learn 3 response options if caught inside an act of extreme violence*:
- If you can, get out
- If you can’t, get safe
- If you have to, get tough™
*If your organization utilizes Dept. of Homeland Security's "Run, Hide, Fight" terminology, there is a Run|Hide|Fight version of this General program.
The Advanced Training for Managers segment highlights the critical role managers play in identifying concerning behaviors and keeping potentially volatile situations from escalating.
Classroom Training Package:
- DVD or USB with all 3 video segments
- Reproducible & Customizable Materials (provided in digital format):
- Course Outline
- Leader's Guide
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Quick Reference Card
- Sample Behaviors of Concern Handout
- Employees complete the General Getting Real About Workplace Violence course which covers Awareness & Prevention and Extreme Violence Response.
- Managers complete the General Getting Real About Workplace Violence course (which covers Awareness & Prevention and Extreme Violence Response) plus the supplemental Advanced Training for Managers course.
Developed by Security Industry Veterans
Jim Sporleder and his team have worked with many leading organizations and numerous U.S. government agencies.
Video host and content subject matter expert Jim Sporleder has more than 25 years experience in the security industry. With a unique background in specialized captivity survival, Jim has trained thousands of U.S. military personnel from some of the most elite units in the U.S. Department of Defense. He served as President of the Center for Personal Protection and Safety from 2004 to 2015, where he spear-headed special program initiatives and was lead developer and project director for all media-based training. Recently, Jim and his team have developed customized WPV training solutions for several Fortune 1000 organizations.
Alternate Versions Available
Getting Real About Workplace Violence also comes in Healthcare and Run|Hide|Fight versions.
The Healthcare Version includes coverage of considerations that arise when extreme violence erupts in patient settings.
The Run|Hide|Fight version uses the Dept. of Homeland Security's "Run, Hide, Fight" terminology in the extreme violence response segment.
Both can be previewed and purchased on this page.
Meets ANSI and ASIS/SHRM Standards
This training complies with all of today's workplace violence prevention and response standards
This instruction aligns with the American National Standard on Workplace Violence Prevention and Intervention, which is the standard advised by ASIS International (ASIS) and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) for best practices addressing workplace violence prevention and response.