Unintentional Still Hurts, Healthcare Version
Overcoming Unconscious Bias in Healthcare
45-55 min | by Media Partners
Healthcare Employee Course
Healthcare Manager Course
This powerful training course helps healthcare workers recognize and overcome biases that can block inclusion in the workplace and undermine patient care.
Select product format to see what comes with purchase.
In healthcare, implicit bias can undermine employee well-being and patient care -- particularly if the bias leads to behaviors that perpetuate stereotypes or reflect prejudice or discrimination.
Healthcare workers who are unaware of their hidden biases can unintentionally make inappropriate or hurtful comments, treat certain co-workers or patients differently, or make administrative or patient care decisions without fully gathering and processing all the information. These scenarios sometimes result in unfair work practices, inadequate care, or inequitable access to care.
The good news is there are strategies to help healthcare workers recognize and overcome their biases. This Healthcare Version of Unintentional Still Hurts: Overcoming Unconscious Bias provides powerful examples of common workplace biases and how they can play out in the form of microaggressions. Learners are inspired to apply practical steps for identifying and challenging bias in themselves and others.
3 Modules (Understanding Bias, Recognizing Microaggressions, and What You Can Do to STEP Up) cover:
• Implicit versus explicit bias, as well as examples of the most common types of workplace bias
• How to manage microaggressions (if you’re the target or if you’re called out as the perpetrator), whether the incident involves a co-worker or a patient
• How to be an ally for others if you witness disrespectful or demeaning conduct, or microaggressions in the workplace
The Manager Version course includes additional instruction on the manager’s responsibilities should they:
• recognize an employee is treating patients of a marginalized group differently or unfairly
• suspect a policy or a practice may negatively impact access or patient care
• believe a policy or practice puts employees of an underrepresented group at a disadvantage
It also covers how a manager should respond if an employee or patient brings forward concerns about microaggressions or any other disrespectful conduct they’ve experienced.
Top Design Features
• Focuses on behavior change. Practical strategies help healthcare workers do their part to recognize and overcome bias.
• Inspires learners to be their best selves at work and home by helping them acknowledge their own potential biases.
• Is relatable. The tone is conversational, and the vignettes are based on true stories.
• Is memorable and engaging. The sensitive and thought-provoking approach encourages reflection long after the training.
• Is modular so training sessions can be easily adapted to busy schedules.
Flexible Delivery Options
- Self-Paced, interactive eLearning (can be customized with organizational policy and messaging)
- Instructor-Led Training (virtual or in person delivery using our trainers)
- Train the Trainer (use our content and co-brand with your trainers delivering in-house)
- Blended Learning (combine our eLearning with instructor led training using our trainers or yours)
- Manager and Employee Versions
|Is Best Seller?||Yes|
|Program Length||45-55 min|